Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hey, look! It's one of them things...

I've seen a lot of Blogfests floating about the interwebs amongst fellow writerlies in the past few months (mostly because Mia is addicted to them and joins every single one) and even considered joining a few, but never did. In some cases this was because life got ZOMGWTFAUXBBQSAUCEWENTTOHELLINAHANDBASKETLIKEAZOMBIEINATUTUSINGINGSKIPTOMYLUONTHEFOURTHOFJULYWHILETHECRIMEANWARISFOUGHTINASEWER busy. In most cases, though, it was simply because I do not respond well to prompts. At all. I was once given the assignment to write a story that involved a turtle, and I was so anti-turtle I wrote a 30 page short story that had a very fleeting mention of turtle stew buried in it. So buried, no one even noticed until I pointed it out.

Lately, however, Sarah has been totally non-cooperative and I haven't written a word of fiction since mid-April. It has steadily been driving me up the wall to the point where I just kind of want to hurtle my typewriter, laptop, notepads, and pens into a supernova. Or at the very least an incredibly active volcano. The solution my brain cooked up to this problem was to force Sarah to talk, and I figured a Blogfest ought to do the trick since it's all about writing...except I couldn't think of anything.

The point of this probably long ramble-full intro is that you all have Mia to thank for this one, since she cooked up the idea but didn't want to host it and (sort of) prodded me into hosting duties. So, to shut myself up now, let's get on with the actual details of the blogfest.



Weather Blogfest

This baby is tentatively being set for Saturday, August 14th. May move it to the next day, but probably won't. Anyway the date doesn't matter much. Entries a day or two late are no big deal, just, like, don't add yourself a week or two after the date, y'know?

Some Rules
1. Obviously given the theme/nature of this thing your piece must feature the weather in some way. And I mean feature. It doesn't have to be exclusively about the weather, but no doing to the weather what I did with turtle stew. If you do I will hunt you down with red shells.
2. Like I said, date of entry doesn't matter too much as long as you don't go whoa overboard, but it would be nice if you could sign up by the date.
3. Equally, I don't really care about the length of the entry. I trust you all to have the good sense to not write a piece that's a sentence long or the length of a novel, but really so long as you can strike some sort of middle ground, your word count doesn't matter to me. It's the writing itself I care about.
4. Link back to here because I'm an attention who...I mean, so people can use the handy dandy list to hop around to other entries. Yep, let's roll with that one.
5. Enjoy yourselves (or I will sick Will Munny on you)

At the moment, there are no prizes, folks. I am a poor unemployed teenager. Unless you can find something that will not exceed $2, I have no money with which to finance anything. At present. This may change in the future, so will make effort to notify you peeps. So until then, you guys win the prize of my admiration.

That's all folks. Go out there and have fun.



And just in case anyone hasn't figured it out already, Sarah is my soon-to-be ex Muse. Lately we've been doing nothing but shouting at one another, and it's to the point where I'm going to write Management demanding a new, more cooperative Muse.

35 comments:

  1. *BLINKS*

    OMG A BLOGFEST??

    pssssh, I'm so not entering

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I TOTES would have hosted I just thought you might like to :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also prizes can be my respect, you will win my respect if you enter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also where is your name? Hmmmm? (ok, will quit the commenting now)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALSO

    and I SWEAR this is my last comment (like really really)

    I feel like you mentioned zombies just to keep me interested. Thank yea. Although I would have read anyway.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason my blog roll does not contain this post. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's about time I enter one of these things. Writing about the weather is fun for me! : D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Added to my master blogfest list.
    http://blog.dawnsrise.com/p/upcoming-blogfests.html
    If you saw my last blogfest post, you'd see that I have a lot of weather in my work...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I know EXACTLY what I'm gonna do for this one! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My second blogfest. You're linked on my blog. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love writing about the weather. Because I notice it, and I think other people should notice it more, too.

    I think people who say that you should not write about the weather are self-obsessed, unobservant city dwellers.

    and, um, most of my novel takes place outside so yeah... cold, snow, rain, heat all kinda matter to the characters. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I'm a blogfest junkie and I've happened on this one early for a change! Let's talk about the weather...hmm..<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome idea for a blogfest as i love writing weather scenes and I already have mine picked out. Thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice one - I'll have to think about what scene to pick but I've got a while!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,

    Couldn't resist! That's all we Brits do: talk about the weather.
    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good thing you've given us a long time to think about this. I've been debating on entering a long time. Well, time to decide YES.

    Especially if Mia is writing about zombies . .

    I thought I'd linked you on my blog; I fix that now.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea! Weather plays an important part in my WIP because my MC is outdoors so much. I have several scenes to choose from - too cool.

    I've added a link to your blogfest to my site:
    http://www.rohmorgon.com/blog

    If you are interested, I'm hosting Roh's Character Contest #1. It ends this Saturday, July 17th.

    ReplyDelete
  18. August, huh? That's when the last three hurricanes that made my life ... interesting hit my town.

    I'll be there. If I'm not, know that a hurricane is once more making my life ... interesting.

    I really enjoy your blog. Hope to be here in August and not hunkering down from the wind and rains of a hurricane, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  19. Added you to my sidebar listing of all blogfests. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm signing up, and have linked this to my blog!

    http://jc-martin.com/fighterwriter

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love writing the weather...will link in a moment!

    bru

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've tried twice and my link doesn't appear...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Damn, once again, I have to reenter the contest because I changed my blog name, so the first link won't work. :B

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey, me too Ted- I know I signed up awhile back and my link isn't there and I just tried it again and no luck. I'd still like to participate though! ~bru

    ReplyDelete
  25. Trying to get this sorted. Can't remember my ruddy name and password for the site, so bear with me...

    ReplyDelete
  26. All right, apparently this lacks any sort of recovery mechanism, and I must have deleted the email a while back so I'm just going to build a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Okay, so it's going to take a while to fix, so just to help me keep track of who's missing and who's not, comment over on the latest post and I'll make a post with a list.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay- the link worked for me this time! I guess the third time was the charm! My post is up.

    bru

    ReplyDelete
  29. added my link again to update the url which was still directing to hellia.blogspot instead of the new and improved amaliadillin.blogspot. Sorry for the confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm new to blogfests - so do I post the entry on my blog and then send you the link?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm new but have included my link. This is just my second blogfest. Thanks for hosting this. :D
    Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Riverside

    Yeah, just post your piece and link back to here, or rather to a new post which will be going up soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just posted my entry. Thanks for hosting. I look forward to reading everyone's stories.

    ReplyDelete