Sunday, February 14, 2010

My characters

It dawned on me today that I have a flair for unintentional puns.

My late 19th century/early 20th century style detective I knew I wanted to name Ian. But he needed a surname. I was visiting friends in the UK and one day we were bumming around London looking for something to do and lo and behold, we come upon a school with the greatest name ever. Goodenough College, named for a man whose surname really was Goodenough. I just knew I had to use it. And so bam, Ian Goodenough. Only way that could be better is if his name were Evan.

Current protagonist, after many names changes, has finally settled into Daniel Cross. Not that hilarious on its own. But! his older brother's name is Zeke, short for Ezekiel. Daniel and Ezekiel Cross.

I don't know why my brain insists upon doing this, but I'm glad it does. Also for some reason I have this really sexy techno beat in my head. I wish I remembered more from my old band days so I could jot it down. I know it's a long shot and frankly I don't think I'll ever be good enough to be published, but if by the grace of whatever god or gods you believe in I am published and I get a series and said series becomes a TV show, I would love for this to be the theme. It's just grand.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Glad to know I'm not the only one who's brain jumps way ahead of itself with regards to aspects of future films/tv shows that will undoubtedly follow on from the book...Also, slightly jealous of the talent you have for finding names.
    Thank you for that, that simple post just made the all-nighter I'm trying to pull, in order to keep up with course work, a whole lot brighter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, i mean *ahem* back to the very serious things I was clearly working on very hard before the internet distracted me...

    ReplyDelete