Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bala nemate!

For anyone wondering, that title is Lithuanian. My dad's side got around a lot, but my mom's side of the family has been staunchly Lithuanian, as far back as you can trace. There's a lot of interesting history on that side as well and I'll probably blog some of it up some day, but that's not the point. The point is I used to be conversational in Lithuanian thanks to my grandparents' teachings, but now I only remember bits and pieces. I do still remember how to call someone a cabbage head in Lithuanian, which you wouldn't think is that bad, but to a Lithuanian that is the highest insult, worse than certain four-letter words most folks here abhor, and it is for that very reason I shan't be posting it.

Anyway, bala nemate more or less means "to hell with it".

I was incredibly, incredibly productive during the two consecutive blizzards and all those days off. For the bulk of them, I was just loafing about having fun, but from late at night on Wednesday to late at night on Sunday, I got a lot done, more than I've gotten done in such a short amount of time since I wrote my first novel way back when (180-odd pages in just shy of three weeks is still my record). Since then I have had inspiration but lacked drive, and then the Muses decided to play coy, and now they're back, and my drive is back fifty fold, and every time I go to write, my mind either blanks out or I think whatever I just typed is shit and promptly delete it. I have a few ideas as to why this is but not so sure I feel like sharing any of them right at this moment. Suffice it to say I'm just not really particularly happy with my confounded brain right now.

So for the time being, I'm delivering a stern bala nemate to my writing and going to do some other stuff. A bit of a shame really, but nothing to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment